Wednesday, April 29, 2020

The National Honor Society

When it came time in February to apply for Honor Society sophomore year, my parents tried time and time again to convince me to apply. I was always skeptical about the National Honor Society because I believed that I was not intelligent enough and that the process would only be a waste of my time. My dad told me "whats the hurt in applying, it will look good on a resume." I still refused and my parents and I argued about it for a while and told them that I didn't want to apply and ended up missing the deadline and that was that.

The next year came around and another February with the same discussion. Naturally because I had no interest I didn't tell my parents about the application deadline. That only lasted so long until my parents got an email about the application and the same discussion occurred. We talked about it and eventually I gave in to their pleading for me to apply. I filled out the application as best I could and found my references. After that I turned it in to Mr. Cornell, the school's chapter head, and went about my business greatly believing that I wouldn't be accepted. 

It was not until a couple weeks later that I was in class when I got called down to the front office. I what unsure what it was about and why I got called out of class along with several other students. We were all given envelops and inside them was a letter from Mrs. Evans. The letter was my formal acceptance into the National Honor Society. I was over come with joy when I found out. For so long my learning difference had me believing that I wasn't good enough or smart enough. Because of this I realized that I was smarter and more intelligent than I gave myself credit for. 

1 comment:

  1. So happy for you Brooks! You are an exceptional guy! Congratulations!! Super accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete