Tuesday, April 28, 2020

The Shelton School (Worst School Ever)

One of my most traumatic experiences was at the Shelton School. My parents were looking at schools that would be a good fit for me. going into the first grade. I was at a summer program at the school and remember being nervous about the experience. I missed my mother and was looking for someone to give me a comporting response. No teacher or member of the staff was sympathetic towards me or comforting. I especially recall getting yelled at by one of the teachers solely because I sad and just wanted a hug. That teacher showed no concern pertaining to how I felt. How I felt was never taken into consideration at Shelton.

I remember coming home that afternoon and telling my parents what had happened. Thankfully they were concerned when I told them what happened and they looked into what had occurred. After that I never returned to Shelton and obviously dislike the school to this day. I was 5 at the time and it still shocks me that they treated me how they did with no compassion what so ever. What is the worst part about it all in my opinion has to be how a specialized school for children with learning differences could be so unaccommodating and cold. Children with learning disabilities need extra care and consideration but that school obviously had none.  

This is besides the point but the school didn't feel like a school. The campus was big and intimidating with long, wide hallways. For starter the outside looks like a basketball coliseum with simple yellow brick, no to mention I'm not sure if the main building even had any windows. It sounds weird but because the campus was so big it almost made me believe that learning there would be more complicated and complex. It felt more like the Galleria Mall than it did a school.  

No comments:

Post a Comment